Friday, January 21, 2011

A bit of textile crafting

I am part of our local Creative Fibre group here in New Plymouth.  We set a group challenge to have an 'envelope swap' late last year, where each participating member contributed an A4 envelope with textile bits n bobs in it.  Each of us then chose our (closed) envelope full of goodies, and had to come up with 'something' created with the contents.  the only additions to be made were sewing thread.

I chose an envelope that was so not me, it was 'almost' funny (yes Sam, I can hear you laughing from here!).  Fluro greens/yellow/reds - um HELP!  So Sam (my partner in crime at Creative Fibre) and I decided to hit the task head on, and got together one weekend to make ourselves get something created.

As you'll find out, I love little things, so decided to chicken out a little and make some small 'cuffs'.  I was pleasantly surprised with the result, albeit with a lot of artisitc lisence used to transform the textiles using a lighter (love this tool lately, you can achieve some really interesting results by melting/burning textiles).
A combination, of cutting away the surface of the felt to expose the lower layer (dark green felt), burning, machine stitching, freying, and hand stitching is used here.  The button is a vintage button from my Nana's sewing tin.


I love the contrast of the soft with the crisp, burnt edges on this cuff.
I've felted together a combination of the fibres to form the new surface used for this cuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment